Wednesday, October 31, 2012

New Talent: Photographer Chris Fatseas by Thom Kerr

Dress by Adrian Bressanutti, bra and knickers by American Apparel, shoes by Mimco


Here at Black Magazine we receive numerous submissions every day for the publication. Although we commission all the stories in the magazine, occasionally fresh talent catches our eye. Not everything is appropriate for print, but sometimes we come across work that we can share with our online audience. As our readership expands globally, we want to honour the new talent coming through by endeavouring to share the spotlight on those we feel are creatively blossoming. It's important at the beginning of any career to stay passionate, focussed and always be willing to learn! And showcasing rising talent is a wonderful form of encouragement. We highly value our Black magazine community of readers and will continue to introduce lots of fresh faces, both in front and behind the camera, to begin to share the wealth of talent that the magazine brings to our doorstep. And we'd like to start with a shoot by budding Australian fashion photographer Chris Fatseas... Intro and interview by BLK Australian Editor Thom Kerr  Photography: Chris Fatseas Stylist: Carmel Quinn Hair: Igor Rosales Make-up: Gemma Elaine Model: Isobel Larkin at Division Model Management

Dress by Adrian Bressanutti, bodysuit by American Apparel, shoes by Mimco


Dress by Zimmerman

Thom Kerr: How old are you?

Chris Fatseas: 25

Where are you from?

Brisbane

Did you study?

Yes, I have degrees in Business and Creative Industries from QUT

When was the first time you picked up a camera?

It would have been during art class at high school. We were all given an old film SLR to learn on for a term. The dark room was a bit of fun but, honestly, photography just didn’t appeal to me at the time. I preferred the more tactile mediums like clay. It wasn’t until I bought my first digital SLR that I started using a camera with real interest. 

Dress by Zimmerman
When did you first recognise you had an attraction to photography?

I picked it up fairly casually when I was about 19. Digital SLRs were becoming more affordable, and I thought I’d buy one for a bit of a play. It was more like an arranged marriage than love at first sight.

What do you look for in your subjects?

Natural beauty and an innate sense of character are really important. If a model can stand still with a blank expression, no make up, flat lighting and non-descript clothes and still be really interesting to look at, you know they have something special (I always look at digis!). It’s also important that a model knows how (or is willing) to move and emote in front of the camera - put those two things together and you can really bring a character to life!

What do you hope to convey through your pictures?

I’d like for people to be able to be able to connect with my images on a deeper level than the aesthetics alone… I want to invite them into a moment and a scene... I always try to tie lighting, location and fashion to mood, character and a sense of “what’s happening?” 

Dress by Lover

Who or what is inspiring you?

Music has always been a major source of inspiration for me. I listen to a lot of older rock and heavy metal, sometimes a little grunge. I love conceptual, expressive music…soft ballads or heavy thrash all get the creative juices flowing… I’m also a big fan of science fiction novels and films. The use of lighting in Blade Runner is going to stay with me for a while!

In the fashion industry, I look up to photographers who have been able to successfully develop a distinct personal style. Deborah Turbeville comes to mind. I have so much respect for her work and her perspective on fashion photography in general.

What would you like to achieve through your pictures?

I see photography as a means for self-expression and discovery... I get excited by the idea of creating images that have a sense of originality... I want to gig, but I don’t want to be a covers band!

Top by Aurelio Costarella, knickers by American Apparel

What is the dream goal?

I’d love to earn a living shooting beauty and fashion editorials… perhaps the occasional big campaign… Then there’s New York.. I fell in love with that city when I went there a couple of years ago and I’d love to end up there.

What does the word Black mean to you?

Oops… lens cap is still on

www.chrisfatseas.com