Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Slendid Splendour


Sorry to rub it right on in, but yours truly will be heading to Splendour In The Grass in under three weeks (closer to two actually, but who's counting?) and I'm continually getting pounded with more and more reasons why this may well be Australia's best and fairest festival.

First they brought us Vampire Weekend, Sigur Ros, The Fratellis, New Young Pony Club (who I am interviewing for the third time tonight and by God, it better be good) etc, and then they went out of their way to do absolutely everything possible to make Splendour a sustainable event.

Now, I'm green and all, but I'm not THAT green - I recycle and I switch lights and taps off and hell, I wear a lot of vintage, but the only type of tree I like to hug is of the Xmas variety. But even I can appreciate that my emissions at Splendour will be around 144kg, and that by handing over just $7 for a green ticket I can neutralise my carbon footprint. Right on.

Best of all, I can take five cans or bottles (empty of course - they don't call me Patsy for nothing) and swap them for a $3 drink ticket. So drink more booze and get more booze. Maybe I'm greener than I thought?